Is your child ready to jump in to a whole new way of learning about swimming and water safety? Then we’ll nurture their natural love of learning and build their comfort and confidence.
Nothing is more important than your child’s safety. That’s why we’ve partnered with the worldwide leader in aquatics, Andy Broido, whose creative and effective curriculum is based on 45 years of teaching children to swim safely and enjoy a lifetime love of water.
Schafer’s teacher to student ratio is the best in the area. Our enthusiastic instructors undergo a rigorous training program developed by Broido, an original member of the United States Swim Schools Association Infant Toddler educator training committee.
Additionally, we offer swim lessons for children with special needs, please fill out the in-take form so that we can better serve you and your child’s needs.
- Ages—Infant and up
- Class length—30 to 45 minutes
- Teacher to student ratio—1:4
- Equipment—A warm-water pool designed for children’s swim instruction with 90 degree temperatures and a high-end, UV purification system to keep water pristine and gentle on the skin.
Overview of Levels
- Level 1: The emphasis for Level 1 is having our students adjusting to being in the water and an introduction to submersions. We want our students to become comfortable in the water while learning basic kicking, and floating skills. We will also introduce fun games like Humpty Dumpty and a ring hunt.
- Level 2: In level 2 we will start beginning movement along with more floating skills and bubble blowing. Our goal is to have our students swim 3 feet comfortably on their own. They will also play games such as Fishes in the Ocean and a treasure hunt.
- Level 3: In Level 3 our main goal is rolling over for a breath. Roll overs are an essential skill in order to move forward and be successful in swimming. Along with roll overs students will also be introduced to elementary backstroke, backstroke kicks, breaststroke and dolphin kicks. Our students will work up to swimming 6 feet comfortably on their own.
- Level 4: The emphasis in Level 4 is side breathing. We will also perfect elementary backstroke, streamline kick, breaststroke and dolphin kick. They will also be introduced to breaststroke arms. Our students will work up to swimming 10 feet comfortably on their own.
- Level 1: Level 1 is for our school age students who have never taken a swim lesson before. We will teach our students to be comfortable in the water along with basic floating and kicking skills. They will also start to do submersions. Our goal for this level is to have them so comfortable in the water that they feel like they could live in it.
- Level 2: Level 2 is where we start basic movement with underwater paddles, they will also work on their floating and learn how to correctly blow bubbles. Our goal is to have our students swim 6 feet comfortably on their own.
- Level 3: Our emphasis for our level 3 swimmers is rolling over for a breath. Roll overs are an essential skill in order to advance and be successful in swimming. Along with roll overs we will introduce students to elementary backstroke, backstroke, and dolphin kicks. Our students will work up to swimming 10 feet independently with rolling over for a breath.
- Level 4: Level 4 we will begin side breathing for freestyle. Our students will also perfect elementary backstroke, streamline and dolphin kick. Along with the breaststroke kick we will also be introducing breaststroke arms. Students will work up to swimming 25 feet independently with side breathing.
- Level 5: Our goal for level 5 is alternate side breathing. We will begin FUNdamental breaststroke and FUNdamental butterfly along with perfecting backstroke. We will also introduce backstroke and freestyle drills. Students will also work up to a five minute continuous swim.
- Level 6: In level 6 we will focus on perfecting breaststroke and butterfly. We will work on perfecting timing with breathing for breaststroke and butterfly, treading water, and an introduction to the individual medley. They will also work up to a ten minute continuous swim.
For more information, read Aquatics Frequently Asked Questions.
Baby & Me
Swim Lessons – Swimmers 1
Swim Lessons – Swimmers 2
Swim Lessons – Swimmers 3
Swim Lessons – Swimmers 4
Swim Lessons – Swimmers 5
Swim Lessons – Swimmers 6
- Monthly Class Fee Schedule
- 30 min$80.00
“I am thrilled that Schafer Sports Center will offer swimming for special needs children. Water safety and drowning prevention are important for every child to learn. My grandson is autistic, and he loves water. I am glad he’ll have the opportunity to learn the fundamental skills of swimming, and will enjoy water in a safe and comfortable environment.”